Educational Assistants Association of the WRDSB
Prior to becoming certified with the Labour Board Relations Board
- The hourly EA rate was $6.21 to start ,$6.89 after one year and $7.26 after three years
- There were no categories or Levels for different EA positions
- The entire Collective Agreement was written on one page
- The only issues covered were pay rate, bereavement leave ,sick leave, P.D.Days and paid holidays
- Six paid holidays were listed and were paid out only after three months employment
- Sick leave was five days per school year and all other time was unpaid
- EAs were entitled to two PD days with pay per school year, in October and February
The Educational Assistants Association of the Waterloo Region District School Board: Proudly Independent and Strong
The “office” operated out of the President’s home until 1992 when a small space was available at Sudaby Public School was available.
The office space there was needed for the Hearing Services dept. so we moved to a small office at Courtland Ave. Public School, where we stayed until 1998 and the office found a new home in Waterloo in an office building on Phillips Street.
After a number of years there the office was moved from Phillips Street to an office on Belmont Ave in Kitchener for two years until it was moved to the current office location at 1023 Rife Rd, in Cambridge.
When the union started there were 80 members and we have grown steadily to our current size of 1500+.
The names have changed over the years from Teacher Helpers, Teacher Assistants, Paraprofessionals until today, we are Educational Assistants.
Although over the years our name has been changed the goals of the dedicated members of this union are to support, encourage and provide a place where all students are safe to reach their potential have not changed.
In May of 2001, the EAA joined the Coalition of Education Assistants of Ontario (CEAO). The CEAO is comprised of four independent unions, Peel District School Board, Dufferin-Peel Catholic School Board, Halton District School Board and the Waterloo Region District School Board.